Skip to main content

Kalam at alam ng sikmura

Kalam-sikmura ng anak sa doodles11006@yahoo.com:
GOT the surprise of my life when this creature came up at my worksite. The ever inquisitive prick I am I went to pick it up-- ha-ha-ha… a hedgehog... it’s now under the care of a Malaysian colleague since I couldn’t watch it as constantly as I can... it’s named Sonic after Sonic the Hedgehog.... it’s still in its adolescent stage I think and it’s pretty defensive with small grunts but he's cute...looks like a rat that had overgrown hairs sticking out of it.... at least this one gazes at me it will be more acceptable rather than that poor excuse of a falcon who mocked me way, way back.

Ramadan has officially started here...and I am having a hard time trying to keep up with not eating for nearly an hour, let alone a few more hours to say the least; I need to store up fats, winter months are coming up again so I’ll be bloated again… sarap kumain ‘pag malamig kasi so for sure mas lalong magiging kamukha ko si Bonyat..

Oh and I have met somebody already, well she is still back home of course. We have been constant chat mates burning the cyber field like there is no tomorrow that’s how dating goes nowadays especially if you’re this far away. Her name is Camilla Blanca, that’s her in the pictures I’ve tacked to this letter. Since I couldn’t introduce her to you folks, might as well send you her picture....she's a nurse, not licensed yet. She hasn’t taken the boards either... she's very much a female version of me. We have the same views on things. She also went to treks as well and campovers although not the type of campovers that we did then. She's my current beau and we both feel we are going eventually "there" so I'm keeping my hopes up, knowing more about each other and stuff. Practically we are the same on a lot of things and we both see each other as the other...so we click just right.

We both feel that we can make it through and that she is willing to wait for me; I still have one more year ahead of me to finish, which is good, she's not like the previous girls although she is six years younger than me. Hope you will love her as much as I do. She looks tall doesn't she? (She’s as tall as I am) and quite the looker too. I will introduce her formally to you guys when I come home, at least now you know how she looks like. Do wish us luck as I am already getting old myself you know.

How are things there on your end? I heard Arjuna is there with you, how are his studies? What about Angeli? It’s September na you’re about to become grandparents very soon...

Alam-tiyan ng ama sa tagakataga@yahoo.com:
FIRST night of Ramadan, I had pasta and beers with Dennis Fetalino and friends at Indulgence… he had to re-mat the paper’s front page, went back to the news desk… a more gruesome snapshot of the Davao bomb blast turned up in the wires… I had to excuse myself, trudged over next to Manila Pen and laid siege to some pureed corn soup, dunked into my bowl some slabs of goose liver pâté, got drunk on cognac… and whooped it up… in 1979 your Mama and I locked eyes at the same venue, got stuck in a moment you can’t get out of and she’d kept me under wedlock and key since…

You have this thing with nurses…

Sa bahay na nga umuuwi si Arjuna, and I had to tell him to give more time to physics-- one of my favorite school subjects, why, I’m now into quantum physics that allows me to link up with the root of algebra, ah, Al-Jabbaru or “God the Mender/Compeller.”

Afflatus: that divine name nicely ties in with the idea of hormesis—from an ancient Greek word hormáein, "to set in motion, impel, urge on" -- for favorable biological responses resulting from low exposures to toxins and other stressors. What doesn’t kill strengthens. It’s what Paracelsus had in mind when he stressed nothing’s poisonous, everything’s poisonous—all’s in the dosage.

By adapting to challenges to be tougher than tough conditions, say, lack of food, the body compensates, making it more robust. Tenable alimentary stress from reduced calorie intake or fasting during Ramadan actually stimulates the body to defend itself against insults of disease-causing oxidative stress.

In recent studies on lab rats, incorporating calorie restriction to a diet high in fish oil upped the rats' lifespan six-fold-- from a 40 percent increase to a whopping 265 percent increase in lifespan. Indeed, fasting is one of the secrets of longevity.

Alam mo naman ang kinagigiliwan kong lantakan matapos ang maghapong ayuno: frugal fare like broad and butter… mongo guisado, a side dish of cilantro with pekpeksiw…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ALAMAT NG TAHONG

SAKBIBI ng agam-agam sa kalagayan ng butihing kabiyak-- at kabiyakan, opo-- na nakaratay sa karamdaman, ang pumalaot na mangingisda ay napagawi sa paanan ng dambuhalang Waczim-- isang bathala na nagkakaloob sa sinuman anumang ibulwak ng bibig mula sa bukal ng dibdib. Pangangailangan sa salapi na pambili ng gamot ng kapilas-pusong maysakit ang nakasaklot sa puso ng matandang mangingisda. 'Di kaginsa-ginsa'y bumundol ang kanyang bangka sa paanan ng Waczim. Kagy at umigkas ang katagang kimkim noon sa kanyang dibdib: "Salapi!" Bumuhos ng salapi-- mga butil at gilit ng ginto-- mula papawirin. At halos umapaw sa ginto ang bangka ng nagulantang na mangingisda, walang pagsidlan ang galak, at walang humpay ang pasasalamat sa mga bathala. Nanumbalik ang kalusugan ng kabiyak ng mangingisda. At lumago ang kabuhayan, naging mariwasa ang magkapilas-puso na dating maralita. Nilasing ng kanyang mga dating kalapit-bahay ang mangingisda-- na hindi ikina...

Kuntaw

I T was more than an implement—tough as metal, soft as petal—wielded like lightning to repulse conquerors. Invading Mactan in 1521, Ferdinand Magellan and his men must have thought that their fabled Toledo steel swords would be more than a match more the island’s native defenders—they were dead wrong. The Spaniards never knew what hit them. In the 1900s, American occupation forces in Mindanao particularly in the Sulu islands found themselves under constant harassment from what they called “crazy hermits” or juramentados . The native fighters would fast for days, go through special religious rites, then go forth to storm American garrisons. Even as the .445 caliber pistol was plied out in 1911 to stop seemingly unstoppable fighters, the Americans still never knew what hit them. Looking back with pride at such points in history when their fighting mettle was unleashed in battle, Filipino Muslims, especially the Tausugs of Sulu will, with a little nudge and tug at their patriotic sentimen...

Baka talisay ang kailangan kung mabilis nilalabasan

KAMBAL na hitang nakabukaka ang pahayag—an open statement na hindi pinid at wala nang pasubali o baka masususugan pa. (“Susog” ang salitang ugat na katakam-takam talagang bigkasin dahil kung nanamnamin at hihimas-himasin para bang susong busog ang ibig sabihin.) We’re trying to make sense of a claim we stumbled into about the fruits of an ornamental tree. To wit: “The kernel of Indian almond has shown aphrodisiac activity, it can probably be used in treatment of some forms of sexual inadequacies (premature ejaculation).” For goodness’ sakes, what are those other forms of sexual inadequacies, er, shortages? What’s Indian almond? Higit nating kilala ang Indian almond bilang talisay. Tinatawag ding tropical almond, Java almond, Singapore almond, Pacific almond . Kilala din sa pangalang umbrella tree, badamier, ketapang, huu kwang , at sa mga botanist na mahilig sa boteny tulad ni Ama, Terminalia catappa . Makatas ang hinog na lamukot ng bungang talisay—karaniwang dilaw o namumula ang ku...