Skip to main content

Please go, Harvey Keh

APPREHENSIVE about certain louts winning the May 14 vote, eh? Sure they will win.

As sure as that ransom note of sorts of yours that somebody from my high school e-group dumped in my e-mail. Those aren’t a terrorist’s demands. More of a terror-struck aghast at how things are shaping up in the country and woeful at the possibilities that will soon come to pass. That’ll prompt you to pack your bags and leave the country, maybe for good. Please do. Follow your heart.

Never fear for these accursed islands with its accursed denizens. Most of us can bear whatever onus rapine providence or sagging confidence has to dump some more on our backs, why, we can hardly stand erect like manhood out to inflict another mouth to feed on dwindling income and scant resources.

Any whit of wariness that crackpots would crack can hardly be appreciated by crackpots. Why, I would have voted for you had you taken the desperation to make a bid in the senatorial derby. You didn’t. You weren’t that desperate enough. But you’re desperate.

Most of us don’t even despair. We just cope. And still hope while we mope. We subsist without stoking embers of rage and fires of abomination for the louts and butchers leading us to the slaughter. They’re leaders. The led deserve them.

Just between you and me, I have not acknowledged nor countenanced any of ‘em blokes ensconced in those elective posts as my leaders. Two of the leaders I’ve held in high esteem somehow look at me from the mirror. Uh, at my age—am 52-- I’m still quite spry at high-impact kicking. My feet look at me. Look after me. I go where they lead me. They carry my bearing.

And I stand for that which they stand on. Just any patch of loam or dirt I can lay my hands on to work over, render fertile with corruption and the moribund, coax into nurturing every bit of seed and plant stock I entrust to its care.

Such habitual activity leaves me little choice but look down; never to look up to stalwarts, standard-bearers and leaders whose stink often lead the servile by the nose like a tethered beast of burden.

Pardon me but I also can’t look at most of some 51 million registered voters straight in the eye, knowing that every senatorial aspirant is allowed to spend P3 for each while their parties can blow P5 per. Any wannabe lawmaker may plunk down P153 million, any political party can ply out P255 million to reach out, clutch at each vote, say howdy.

The numbers just tell me of a confession of failure to trot out resources for something better than saying howdy to voters via an execrable tune, say Sasakyan Kita which, in my book, telegraphs either as “You’re in for a screwing” or “I’m taking you for a ride.”

As is, we’ve got enough laws to keep us leashed to their pertinent sections, implementing rules and regulations for the rest of our lives. Yet, more wrongs are righted by education than legislation. Education which begins at home and shapes a child’s destiny, including in the long run, the nation’s.

Not one of ‘em candidates is spending monies for give-away seed packets to rural households. Or medicines, the everyday kind in blister packs printed with ‘em candidates’ toilet bowl-smooth profiles. Maybe give-away books, we won’t mind if a candidate’s mug is on the front cover, say primers on healthcare, manuals on survival, nutrition and household safety, or textbooks for public school pupils. Sometime this week, a public school teacher from one of Metro Manila’s cities told me offhand there’s one book for every four pupils in his school.

For 67 minutes of media exposure, a Villar had shelled P30.29 million. For 47 minutes, a Recto coughed out P22.79 million. And a Pichay blew P33.4 million. We hardly got to know any of them.

Hey, I got acquainted with a lover-character from Milan Kundera’s The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Someone called Tomas, an opinionated brain surgeon. Tinkered with gray matters and groin matters. He wrote a scathing article about his country’s leaders before he went with his missus for better pastures abroad. For one reason or another, they went back to their land—no, the brain surgeon didn’t go into nursing. Their passports were seized.

The surgeon who wouldn’t back out on his written word was stripped of his medical license. Hubby had to make do cleaning windows, the missus worked as household help. The political persecution didn’t let up. The couple ended up grubbing as farmhands in the countryside.

Moments before the couple died in an accident, missus asked hubby what he was thinking after all the harrowing ordeal they went through. Replied Tomas: “I’m thinking how happy I am!”

Way to go! That’s stupendous attitude.

I hold the same fondest thoughts for our current crop of leaders. I mean, I’d like them to think how happy they are before their death by every ghastly accident or wonderful incident.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every single cell of my body's happy

I got this one from Carmelite Sisters from whose school three of my kids were graduated from. They have this snatch of a song that packs a fusion metal and liebeslaud beat and whose lyrics go like this: "Every single cell of my body is happy. Every single cell of my body is well. I thank you, Lord. I feel so good. Every single cell of my body is well." Biology-sharp nerds would readily agree with me in this digression... Over their lifetimes, cells are assaulted by a host of biological insults and injuries. The cells go through such ordeals as infection, trauma, extremes of temperature, exposure to toxins in the environment, and damage from metabolic processes-- this last item is often self-inflicted and includes a merry motley medley of smoking a deck a day of Philip Morris menthols, drinking currant-flavored vodka or suds, overindulgence in red meat or the choicest fat-marbled cuts of poultry and such carcass. When the damage gets to a certain point, cells self-de

ALAMAT NG TAHONG

SAKBIBI ng agam-agam sa kalagayan ng butihing kabiyak-- at kabiyakan, opo-- na nakaratay sa karamdaman, ang pumalaot na mangingisda ay napagawi sa paanan ng dambuhalang Waczim-- isang bathala na nagkakaloob sa sinuman anumang ibulwak ng bibig mula sa bukal ng dibdib. Pangangailangan sa salapi na pambili ng gamot ng kapilas-pusong maysakit ang nakasaklot sa puso ng matandang mangingisda. 'Di kaginsa-ginsa'y bumundol ang kanyang bangka sa paanan ng Waczim. Kagy at umigkas ang katagang kimkim noon sa kanyang dibdib: "Salapi!" Bumuhos ng salapi-- mga butil at gilit ng ginto-- mula papawirin. At halos umapaw sa ginto ang bangka ng nagulantang na mangingisda, walang pagsidlan ang galak, at walang humpay ang pasasalamat sa mga bathala. Nanumbalik ang kalusugan ng kabiyak ng mangingisda. At lumago ang kabuhayan, naging mariwasa ang magkapilas-puso na dating maralita. Nilasing ng kanyang mga dating kalapit-bahay ang mangingisda-- na hindi ikina

Wealth garden

‘TWAS CRUEL as smashing a budding green thumb: some years back, an abuela warned me about letting any clump of katigbi (Job’s tears or Coix lachrymal jobi for you botanists) from growing in our homeyard. That grass with rapier-like leaves that smelled of freshly pounded pinipig supposedly invited bad luck and sorrows—why, that biblical character Job wailed and howled a lot, didn’t he? (But was later rewarded with oodles of goodies, wasn’t he?) Then, I came across some arcane text that practically goaded folks to grow katigbi in their gardens—why, there’s a starchy kernel wrapped shut in the seed’s shiny coat. A handful or more of kernels could be cooked as porridge. Too, one could whisper a wish upon seven seed pods, throw ‘em pods in running water—a river or stream—and the wish would be granted! I was warned, too, about planting kapok or talisay trees right in the homeyard—these trees form a cross-like branching pattern. Pasang-krus daw ang bahay na kalapit sa puno ng kapok, tal