Skip to main content

Opening the third eye

‘TWAS some years back in Agoo, La Union where a psychic healer prayed smack over my brows to pry open the so-called third eye. I was told not to womanize too much as such a habit causes the peephole into another reality to gather wool— most likely pubic hair—over the extra eye. I reasoned with the healer that only a nun could drop a habit and she’ll probably be taking a bath or indulge in something more interesting to watch.

So that thingy between the eyebrows is now open for business. Open but not as gaping though as the splayed thighs of a maiden doing a split maybe a banana split.

I was told that the extra sense of sight would allow me to heal ill folks. I shirked from that task, stymied at the prospect of actually causing afflictions to fade away. With a toast followed by a thirsty swig of suds, I made the point clear: “Here’s to the wound that never heals! The more you scratch it the better it feels.”

I was warned that with that augmented sense of sight I’d be seeing things out of the ordinary, even out of this Third World. Did I sound excited at the possibility of seeing ladies without a stitch on even if they’re wearing an entire closet of wardrobe?

Would I be flabbergasted at the sight of their original unaltered bods showing through despite the layers of silicone injections on the upper labia and the mammaries, about three tablespoons of add-on make-up, and four or five kilograms of blubber and suet liposuctioned off the thighs and tummies?

Thus I wondered aloud at the possibility of setting my extra eye on such horrors and abominations now well ensconced in present-day reality.

Nope, those weren’t the things I was supposed to see with the enhanced sense of vision.

For starters, I’m supposed to see disembodied spirits and ghosts.

Fine by me. An eyeful of ghosts and wandering spirits might be quite a sight. And in the following days after the third eye’s gala opening, I was having a grand time with spirits. Well, a lot of ‘em were not unlike the djinn in the Aladdin tale, trapped in a suitable vessel to keep their powers intact. The spirits I communed with even came in fancy labels and high-sounding names. Carlos Primero. Absolut Vodka Currant Flavored. Ginebra San Miguel. San Miguel Pale Pilsen. Johnnie Walker. Lambanog Quezon. Each packed quite a kick even as I tried to shun their intoxicating company.

Too, reliable informants let me in on a wicked secret—certain local government officials throughout Metro Manila are in cahoots with ghost employees who bob up like pop up ads on certain days when their powers are at their peak, usually at the 15th and 30th of each month.

‘Tis sad I’m not yet imbued with the powers to exorcise such ghosts, even ghost projects that can rake in tunnels of monies for the powers that be behind ‘em ghosts. I’m told that taxpayers unwittingly proffer offerings of hard-earned cash in a puny bid to appease such wraiths and malignant presences.

The third eye is still peeled open and is still seeing wonders and horrors unfold like the curtains on a theater of the absurd.

Comments

Arvin said…
way back then. when i was in grade six, i went to this place where somebody helped me in opening my third eye. sayang din yun kasi medyo binaliwala ko. luckily, wala pa naman akong nakikita. ayoko rin.

Popular posts from this blog

Baka talisay ang kailangan kung mabilis nilalabasan

KAMBAL na hitang nakabukaka ang pahayag—an open statement na hindi pinid at wala nang pasubali o baka masususugan pa. (“Susog” ang salitang ugat na katakam-takam talagang bigkasin dahil kung nanamnamin at hihimas-himasin para bang susong busog ang ibig sabihin.) We’re trying to make sense of a claim we stumbled into about the fruits of an ornamental tree. To wit: “The kernel of Indian almond has shown aphrodisiac activity, it can probably be used in treatment of some forms of sexual inadequacies (premature ejaculation).” For goodness’ sakes, what are those other forms of sexual inadequacies, er, shortages? What’s Indian almond? Higit nating kilala ang Indian almond bilang talisay. Tinatawag ding tropical almond, Java almond, Singapore almond, Pacific almond . Kilala din sa pangalang umbrella tree, badamier, ketapang, huu kwang , at sa mga botanist na mahilig sa boteny tulad ni Ama, Terminalia catappa . Makatas ang hinog na lamukot ng bungang talisay—karaniwang dilaw o namumula ang ku...

ALAMAT NG TAHONG

SAKBIBI ng agam-agam sa kalagayan ng butihing kabiyak-- at kabiyakan, opo-- na nakaratay sa karamdaman, ang pumalaot na mangingisda ay napagawi sa paanan ng dambuhalang Waczim-- isang bathala na nagkakaloob sa sinuman anumang ibulwak ng bibig mula sa bukal ng dibdib. Pangangailangan sa salapi na pambili ng gamot ng kapilas-pusong maysakit ang nakasaklot sa puso ng matandang mangingisda. 'Di kaginsa-ginsa'y bumundol ang kanyang bangka sa paanan ng Waczim. Kagy at umigkas ang katagang kimkim noon sa kanyang dibdib: "Salapi!" Bumuhos ng salapi-- mga butil at gilit ng ginto-- mula papawirin. At halos umapaw sa ginto ang bangka ng nagulantang na mangingisda, walang pagsidlan ang galak, at walang humpay ang pasasalamat sa mga bathala. Nanumbalik ang kalusugan ng kabiyak ng mangingisda. At lumago ang kabuhayan, naging mariwasa ang magkapilas-puso na dating maralita. Nilasing ng kanyang mga dating kalapit-bahay ang mangingisda-- na hindi ikina...

Kuntaw

I T was more than an implement—tough as metal, soft as petal—wielded like lightning to repulse conquerors. Invading Mactan in 1521, Ferdinand Magellan and his men must have thought that their fabled Toledo steel swords would be more than a match more the island’s native defenders—they were dead wrong. The Spaniards never knew what hit them. In the 1900s, American occupation forces in Mindanao particularly in the Sulu islands found themselves under constant harassment from what they called “crazy hermits” or juramentados . The native fighters would fast for days, go through special religious rites, then go forth to storm American garrisons. Even as the .445 caliber pistol was plied out in 1911 to stop seemingly unstoppable fighters, the Americans still never knew what hit them. Looking back with pride at such points in history when their fighting mettle was unleashed in battle, Filipino Muslims, especially the Tausugs of Sulu will, with a little nudge and tug at their patriotic sentimen...